Friday, April 10, 2015

Weston Amos Holt

Weston Amos Holt
Born March 30, 2015
Weight: 7 pounds 10 ounces
Height: 20 inches

Weston came right on his due date! We love him so much! Our hearts our bursting with joy. We feel so blessed and lucky. He is such a sweet, calm, happy baby. He sleeps through the night and is wonderful. We couldn't be happier.

Weston came right on his due date. I started having contractions on Sunday. I took a little one-hour nap after church on Sunday. Good thing I did, because I didn’t get any sleep that night. I started having steady contractions at around midnight. I tried to sleep through them, but couldn’t. So I went out into the living room to let Justin sleep, while I had contractions. They started getting 4 minutes apart at around 4am, but I let Justin sleep until 5:30 or so. I woke him up and told him it was time to go to the hospital. He took a shower, put some last minute items in the bag; loaded the car, and we were off. When we got to the hospital I was dilated to 4cm and they admitted me. We got to the hospital around 6:00am.  It took me 3 ½ hours to dilate to 5cm. Then it took 2 hours to get to a 7cm and I was 100% effaced. The doctor was feeling good and that the baby would come in about 3 hours. But then, 5 hours later, I was still at a 7cm. I made no progress and the contractions were getting very intense. They came in a little later and broke my water to see if that would help me progress. It didn’t, but it did make the contractions even stronger. By this point I had been in labor for 18 hours and I hadn’t eaten or slept in a long time. I was so physically exhausted and would shake in between contractions out of exhaustion. The next time the doctor came in he said this could go on for a while and recommended an epidural. So I got one. I was trying to do a natural birth, but I didn’t have the strength or energy to continue. All the doctors and nurses were really impressed with how long I had made it.

So I got the epidural and I was able to just rest. I didn’t really sleep, but I just rested for a couple more hours. They were watching my contractions and at around 8pm they said it was time to push. Justin and the nurse would both hold my legs and I would push. They were amazing at how close together and intense my contractions were. They were only 40 seconds apart, but the baby did really well with them. He had such a strong heart and everyone was impressed. So I pushed for an hour and he finally came! His head was really big and he tore me and I had to get an episiotomy so he wouldn’t tear me even worse. I got a second-degree tear and had to get lots of stitches (I think 18). I was glad to have the epidural during the pushing part too. I might not have had the energy to push that long and fast without it.

Justin was an amazing coach and partner. He did so good saying encouraging things with each contractions. I would usually squeeze his hand, or push against him. If I was standing, I would lean on him. He was so sweet and was with me the whole time. I couldn’t have done it without him. He took such good care of me afterwards too. What an amazing husband I have.

They put him right on my chest after he was born; skin-to-skin. We had some good bonding time and they took all his measurements while he was on me. Once he was hungry, I breast fed him. His head was very misshapen from being born. I remember thinking how purple he looked. I loved him so much instantly. I can’t believe he is finally here. After I breast-fed him, Justin helped bathe him and weigh him. It was so cute to see Justin helping out. I ate dinner while they were cleaning him up. Sister Navarro brought Justin a dinner from Arby’s. She was so excited to see him and thought he was the most precious thing. She has been so sweet to us and has taken really good care of us. Chauncey and Mal also stopped by just to drop off a sleeping pad for Justin.

The doctor and nurses were really impressed with how long I made it without the epidural. After I ate, I washed off my body and we were moved to a recovery room. We let the nurses watch him that night so that we could both get a good sleep. We were both so tired. I didn’t have to feed him until around 6am. I love our little Weston so much. I can’t believe that he is ours.

We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights. All of the nurses were amazing and took such good care of us. My old roommate, Katie, came and took some newborn photos for us. They are amazing! She is an amazing photographer. What a good friend. Chauncey and Mallory also stopped by to see baby Weston for a little bit. The second night we both got a fancy steak meal and little sparkling ciders. We had a little celebration. My mom came the second night. Justin went and picked her up. It’s so nice to have her here to help us. She went shopping for us while we were still at the hospital.

We left on the third day (wed) in the evening. I went and sat in the Jacuzzi and took a nap. Justin’s cousin, Kristi, came and visited us. It was nice to go home and not have to have nurses coming in all the time.

Mom is awesome. I’m so glad she is here. She has been cooking and cleaning and taking night shifts and taking care of me. I’ve been a bottomless pit and can’t ever seem to get enough to eat. How strange. It’s so nice to be able to eat whatever and not feel nauseous. Wonderful. 


  1. Thanks for sharing Steph! I hope we get to see your little guy before he gets too big! Congrats, he's such a cutie!

  2. So awesome! Can't wait to meet Weston and see you guys!